The Role of the Governing Body
The role of the Governing body is to help shape the strategic direction of the school and to safeguard the public interest in the school. As our role is strategic, we do not get involved in the day to day running of the school, this is the responsibility of the Headteacher and the Senior Leadership Team. We ensure that they are accountable for decisions and actions taken. We oversee the maintaining of and improvement of standards of achievement within our school. We are also responsible for ensuring that the school's policies and administration meet statutory requirements and that our children are able to maximise the educational opportunities provided within the financial constraints in which the school operates. We support the school in its continuous drive to improve the already high standard of education provided to our children.
The Governors are appointed to provide:-
• An independent view;
• A wide experience of the outside world;
• A visible form of accountability for the Headteacher and staff of the school;
• A focus on long term, strategic development and improvement;
• Accountability to the community for the use of resources and the standards of teaching and learning in the school;
• Support for the Headteacher and staff.
The Governing Body are the strategic planners of the school, we
• Employ others to carry out the work;
• Appoint the Headteacher who is responsible for the day to day management of the school;
• Agree policies and practice which allows the Hea teacher to carry out their responsibilities;
• Agree principles and targets for improvement;
• Support and challenge the Headteacher;
• Review our own working practices.
Individual Governors will also be involved in some of the following:-
School improvement planning;
Headteacher performance management;
Safeguarding and Child Protection;
The financial management of the school;
The training of governors,
Our Full Governing Body meets once every half term. We have 2 sub-committees which also meet once every half term and report back to the full Governing Body meetings.